A tad listless. Can’t imagine the spare ribs with their bbq basting had that much of an impact? Certainly my fasting sugars were a bit elevated at 6.5mmol/L, but nowhere near crazy levels.
Thrilled that the ‘lifestyle’ management of my diabetes is handling the occasional food that I know is off the the rigid dietary guidelines without flying outside the safe limits.
It did mean that instead of heading out for my morning run (the day grey with a slight chill), I did the Border Collie meander, with Prince, around Harbour Town visiting the important ‘sniff spots’. Tea to warm my cold hands.
Tea is not my best, and certainly hasn’t been able to excite like a glass of good red wine does! However, at East Head Cafe I had a cup of TWG rooibos (Crème Caramel Tea), which is blend of delicate French spices and red tea/rooibos. Delicious. I’m hunting a supply.
(30 day averages)
Low 5.7 mmol/L (Fasting target 4 – 6mmol/L)
High 6.0 mmol/L (2 hours after meal target, less than 7.8 mmol/L)
Diabetic Carbs 38g (daily target, less than 50g)
De Meye Estate, Stellenbosch
The utmost care is taken to source the highest quality organic ingredients for the country cuisine served at The Table restaurant. Limited seating under ancient oak trees ensures that the service matches the care taken with food preparation.
While the Beetroot Tarte Tatin starter wasn’t an option for me, the green and sour-cream salad was tasty, and the olives delicious. It’s accompanying stone-ground bread very tempting!
I didn’t understand the slow roasted Karoo lamb, with a cold aubergine tagine and roasted veg dish. While perfect for my diabetic needs, the cold veggies made the tender lamb ‘soapish’. Something even the delish Merlot couldn’t sort.
The panna cotta with raspberry gelato looked amazing and there were a bunch of takers to ensure my serving wasn’t wasted.
Low 5.0 mmol/L (Fasting target 4 – 6mmol/L)
High 5.8 mmol/L (2 hours after meal target, less than 7.8 mmol/L)
Diabetic Carbs 45g (target, less than 50g)
BEETROOT TARTE TATIN (serves 4)
- 8 – 10 small to medium sized beetroots
- 60g butter
- 120g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- fresh thyme leaves or oregano
- sea salt and black pepper
- ready rolled puff pastry
- sour cream to serve
- Place the beetroots in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmering boil over medium heat and cook until a knife pierces through the beetroots easily. Drain from the water and allow to cool before peeling and cutting in half.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Melt the butter in a heavy based 24cm pan or skillet. Add the sugar and cook until golden and caramelised. Add the red wine vinegar (be careful of hot steam!) as well as the garlic and fresh herbs,
- Arrange the beetroot halves evenly over the caramel. Season with salt and pepper. Trim the pastry into a disc or square big enough to cover the beetroots. Tuck in any excess pastry edges, and prick the pastry lightly with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then carefully turn out onto a serving plate. Top with sour cream.
Latest painting from the studio
Great news with my HbA1c blood tests(An indication of blood glucose control over the previous 2–3 months) showing a decrease in blood sugars from 18 to 5.7
No adverse effects from a week without Metformin slow release tablets, used to increase the absorption of insulin in my system. Insulin also reduced as I creep towards the target of totally relying on diet and exercise to control my diabetes. The ‘carb tracker’, while a nuisance to keep updated, ensuring that I’m aware of how I’m managing to stay within the carb limits for each day.
The cooler weather as Autumn approaches does mean that I’m back to cold fingers and copious quantities of tea to keep my hands warm. I do have warmer gloves for running and cycling that I now keep in my ‘grab-bag’ to wear whenever I start to get cold hands.
Low 4.1 mmol/L (Fasting target 4 – 6mmol/L)
High 6.2 mmol/L (2 hours after meal target, less than 7.8 mmol/L)
Diabetic Carbs weekly average 38g (50g target)